Saturday, March 12, 2011

Rex Lee Run

Hey Ragnar Team,

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the race I ran today. I ran the Rex Lee Run in Provo for the first time. Having grown up here, I have heard about this run a lot, but just haven't had the chance to run it until today. The race benefits cancer research!
I ran the 10k, and the course was fabulous because it is in my neighborhood so I have run these roads often. It started at Brick Oven, went North to 2230 N, then east to the Provo temple, south down 900 East, then west down Center St to 200 E, then North again to the finish at the BYU outdoor track. It was just one big rectangle. There was a nice uphill climb along 2230 N to the Provo Temple, then my favorite part was the downhill of 900 East.
My target time was to be under 50 minutes; happily, I finished at exactly 47 minutes, a 7:35 mile pace. This was my first race in about a year; I have a hard time committing to races because I get really nervous right before them, but I am trying to get over the nervousness and just sign up for them. If I start a race thinking, "I don't have to come in top 20, just make it to the end and have fun", then I am a lot less nervous about it. I guess the nervousness comes from running cross country in high school and feeling like I had to make a certain time or ranking, but I am getting over that, and am more interested in just having a fun time running.
Well, I hope you ladies are enjoying your runs, and I encourage you to look up some races and enter them. My goal is to run at least one race per month before Ragnar.

Happy Running!

Brenda Hickman

Me at the finish line (after I already crossed it! :-) )

My Fans -- Reed and Thomas (and Thomas sits under there by choice!! I guess it is comfortable.)

3 comments:

  1. Love it! CONGRATULATIONS BRENDA! This looks like a great race! I would love to go running with you sometime and do my best to keep up with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Brenda! I think I could only keep that pace for about a quarter of a mile . . . but that is also probably why I never feel pressure to come in top 20! Your boys are cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome and inspiring! I hope to run that time someday!

    ReplyDelete